P2P & non-vista OSes

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:39 AM
B.H.

Hi there!

As far as i understand, this toolkit is limited to communicate between Vista computers only (as the name states)
My questions are:

1) Is it possible to use the toolkit on older Windows (XP or 2000) with .net 3.5 installed?
2) Is there any possibility to communicate with non-windows systems like Linux/Unix/Mac etc?

Thanks, Mordechay
Dec 5, 2007 at 8:56 PM
Hey Mordechay--

1) Our testing was limited to vista... That being said I believe that the winforms version would work (maybe without any modifications) on a windows XP machine with 3.5 installed. If you have an xp box to test it on give it a try and let me know. If you run into a problem we could try to solve it together.

Additionally you may have to do the following:
"pnrp is not installed on Windows XP. To install it, start the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel, select Add/Remove Windows Components, select Networking Services. Next, click the Details button, then check the Peer Networking checkbox, and select OK/Next. These steps install several P2P Windows Services (PNRP is among them), but do not configure them to start automatically. To start PNRP, go to the Service Control Manager, and start the Peer Networking service. This will start, among other things, the PNRP service."

2) To use this p2p technology with other operating systems is a more challenging task to say the least. Your best guess on this would be to look at mono, but I don't think that they currently support netPeerTcpBinding or pnrp which is the underlying technology.

The following links contain more information about pnrp and a link to the p2p blog:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/10/PeerToPeer/default.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/peerchan/default.aspx

Rob
Feb 14, 2008 at 11:47 PM
I am currently trying to set up peer to peer chat in my vs2008 vb.net application. After a few days of trying to set up the communication manually, I downloaded and installed your C4F Vista chat controls. I am running XP. Do you have any documention for the network control and the chat control. The application runs and compiles on XP, however I am unable to establish a conversation. The status does change to connected when the application is running. I am certain that I should be setting up network parameters of some sort, but do not see an option to do so. I have also completed the steps to install Peer Networking on my XP OS. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Richard Johns
Jun 2, 2008 at 11:36 AM
Edited Jun 2, 2008 at 11:38 AM
Hello Rob,

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:37 AM

rschlend wrote:
Hey Mordechay--

1) Our testing was limited to vista... That being said I believe that the winforms version would work (maybe without any modifications) on a windows XP machine with 3.5 installed. If you have an xp box to test it on give it a try and let me know. If you run into a problem we could try to solve it together.

Additionally you may have to do the following:
"pnrp is not installed on Windows XP. To install it, start the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel, select Add/Remove Windows Components, select Networking Services. Next, click the Details button, then check the Peer Networking checkbox, and select OK/Next. These steps install several P2P Windows Services (PNRP is among them), but do not configure them to start automatically. To start PNRP, go to the Service Control Manager, and start the Peer Networking service. This will start, among other things, the PNRP service."

2) To use this p2p technology with other operating systems is a more challenging task to say the least. Your best guess on this would be to look at mono, but I don't think that they currently support netPeerTcpBinding or pnrp which is the underlying technology.

The following links contain more information about pnrp and a link to the p2p blog:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/10/PeerToPeer/default.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/peerchan/default.aspx

Rob

Hello Rob,
First of all, I want to commend You guys, are really doing a great jobs. More idea to your elbows. I also have interest in trying to use winform. But I have some questions:

How many peers can chat simultaneous at a time? (eg on Vista seed server and XP PNRP)

Thanks for your response in advance.
Jun 2, 2008 at 11:43 AM

rjohns621 wrote:
I am currently trying to set up peer to peer chat in my vs2008 vb.net application. After a few days of trying to set up the communication manually, I downloaded and installed your C4F Vista chat controls. I am running XP. Do you have any documention for the network control and the chat control. The application runs and compiles on XP, however I am unable to establish a conversation. The status does change to connected when the application is running. I am certain that I should be setting up network parameters of some sort, but do not see an option to do so. I have also completed the steps to install Peer Networking on my XP OS. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Richard Johns

Hello,
             I am also running it on XP. but only chatting was working  It has been said before it based on Vista. One idea is that after install  C4F VISTA  in to your XP machine check those quick guide and try to do it on Winform with 3.5 framework.
Nov 16, 2008 at 9:20 PM
Hello,

I need some suggestions on how to setup the MS-PNRP private network between 2 machine running Windows server 2008 and Windows Vista.
Here are the steps that I followed for setting up the network
1.I started the pnrp services on both the machines.
2.IPV6 configuration is also proper, since I could ping the other machine through IPV6 address.
3.I added the machine name to both the systems.(0. unsecuresharathxxcom on Vista and 0. unsecureadminxxcom on Windows server 2008)

Guidance required for the following
1.I need to configure the Windows server machine as the seed server.
2.I need to give a peer name to both the machines so that i can ping the machines through the "Peer name"

I guess if I can setup the seed server and ping the machines through the peernames, pnrp network setup is complete. Then I can start running application based on PNRP protocol.

Please leave you suggestion, comments and direct me I am moving in the wrong direction.
Dec 12, 2008 at 5:47 AM
Edited Jan 12, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Hmmm, I will recommend you that u should google net for info on
windows server 2008 bcos I havn't try it. I was using XP and Vista

On 16 Nov 2008 13:20:12 -0800, bhaskarsharath
<notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: bhaskarsharath
>
> Hello,
>
> I need some suggestions on how to setup the MS-PNRP private network between
> 2 machine running Windows server 2008 and Windows Vista.
> Here are the steps that I followed for setting up the network
> 1.I started the pnrp services on both the machines.
> 2.IPV6 configuration is also proper, since I could ping the other machine
> through IPV6 address.
> 3.I added the machine name to both the systems.(0. unsecuresharathxxcom on
> Vista and 0. unsecureadminxxcom on Windows server 2008)
>
> Guidance required for the following
> 1.I need to configure the Windows server machine as the seed server.
> 2.I need to give a peer name to both the machines so that i can ping the
> machines through the "Peer name"
>
> I guess if I can setup the seed server and ping the machines through the
> peernames, pnrp network setup is complete. Then I can start running
> application based on PNRP protocol.
>
> Please leave you suggestion, comments and direct me I am moving in the wrong
> direction.
>
>

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Quick question.  I know C4F P2P isn't availible for XP.  But what about Windows 7?  I installed it to my computer using a Windows 7 OS, loaded Visual Basics up,  everythings there except the P2P toolbar.  The sample application loaded up, and all the functions work like:  Chatroom/Picture Send/File Send.

Does anyone know how to get the P2P toolbar to show while using Windows 7?